Friday, November 26, 2010

Tolerance and Love

No matter what forum of discussion, sooner or later the issue of "morality" surfaces, usually with a negative connotation. When I was a child, I was constantly bombarded by the adults telling me of the immorality of the alternate lifestyles. Today, it seems that the tables have been turned, and the alternate lifestyles have taken control and espouse the immorality of chastity.

Now, granted, some people might say that I have a pretty messed up family. I mean, I am polygynous, one of my brothers, and his wife, is a swinger, another brother seems to love cougar hunting, one of my cousins is so pretty and in such demand that he never does anything for himself, women just flock to him. They feed him, clothe him, house him, and constantly fight for his attention and visits. He is the ultimate, open, tramp. And the list goes on and on. I worked with, and was friends with a woman who was polyandrous. I have friends who are homosexual and bisexual. I have friends who are monogamous, and even some (very, very few) who are "monogamists". I even have friends who are celibate. So a nice variety of people in my peer group. Yet there is one thing in common between all of us; we respect each other's freedom of choice. I respect their freedom to interact the way they choose, and they respect my choice to be for my partner only.

Today, discrimination and harassment is not only directed against those who are considered by society as living an alternate lifestyle, but I have seen a great deal of discrimination and targeted harassment against those who follow a chaste lifestyle, and are truly monogamous (only ever being with one partner in their entire life). Now granted there are several "holier than thou" people out there bringing a lot of this on themselves, but treating people with respect and equality includes giving them the right to choose for themselves. And if they want to be lifelong monogamous, while supporting others' choices, then I will allow them their choice and support them in their decision. I will stand with them to promote fairness and equality among all people. What will you do?

Unity will bring freedom and equality for all.

If divided, as history has proven, there will be endless discrimination and oppression and suffering.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment