Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Approaching Winter

This morning we awoke to a thick layer of frost and icy puddles. As I gazed upon the silvery grass, my thoughts were drawn to the forthcoming winter season. Winter is by far my favorite time of year. I know others prefer the warmer months, but I prefer to bundle up outside than bake in the sun. There’s no mosquitoes, no heatstroke, and especially, no rain! Rain makes everything wet and muddy and everything seems so mucky and depressing, while snow makes everything seem so clean and pure. (I realize that it is just an illusion and that come spring, the snow will melt and make a big mess, which is why I am not a fan of spring.)

I love curling up in front of a roaring fire, and the smell of wood smoke in the air. I love walking along an unbroken trail in my snowshoes and seeing all of the fresh animal tracks. I love playing outside in the snow with the kids, building snowmen and snow forts, then coming inside and sharing some hot chocolate with marshmallows by the fireplace.

I realize that the frost is just teasing me and that I still have 2 more months of fall to go, but it is nice to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment